30-Day Winter Walking Challenge
Walk anywhere, anytime.
The 30-day Winter Walking Challenge is a commitment to incorporating 30-minutes of walking (physical activity) into 30 consecutive work days. The challenge is designed to encourage you to incorporate walking activity into your daily routine. Log at least 900 minutes of walking and be entered to win 1 of 4 grand prize packages!
Open to: UMD faculty/staff and graduate students*
Register: December 20 - January 18
Walk: January 14 - February 22
*Faculty and staff do not have to work on the UMD-CP campus to participate.
Walking is an accessible form of exercise that is easy to do and does not require a gym. Making time for brief walking breaks throughout your day can provide numerous health benefits to include:
- Increased energy. Going for a walk when you’re tired increases oxygenated blood flow and cortisol levels, the hormones responsible for boosting energy.
- Increased energy expenditure. The body burns approximately 100 calories of energy to walk 1 mile. So increasing your level of physical activity can increase energy expenditure and potentially help you reduce body weight.
- Improved strength and function of the heart. Your heart is a muscle and low-to-moderate intensity walking is a great way to strengthen your heart, helping it become more efficient at moving blood throughout your body!
- Increased focus and concentration. Along with a boost in energy, walking is a great way to regain focus and stimulate your mind and body.
- Register for the challenge online by January 14.
- Read, sign and submit the Winter Walking Challenge Informed Consent Form to be complete your registration. The signed form can be sent via fax (301-226-4455), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or campus mail (1115 Eppley Recreation Center) to the program administrator, Bre Rowh.
About the prizes:
Prize package #1: Bindle water bottle + 1 personal training session
Prize package #2: Fitlosophy goal setter
Prize package #3: Costway adjustible standing desk
Prize package #4: Fit on the Go resistance band set
How to be entered for the chance to win:
- All participants successfully logging a minimum of 600 minutes (20-minutes/ day for 30 days) and completing a minimum of 3 weekly activity logs will receive a participation prize.
- All participants logging a minimum of 900 minutes (30-minutes/ day for 30 days) and completing a minimum of 4 weekly activity logs will be entered into a grand prize drawing. 4 grand prize packages will be awarded.
- All participants logging a minimum of 1350 minutes (45 minutes/ day for 30 days) and completing a minimum of 5 weekly activity logs will recieve an aditional entry into the grand prize drawing.
- Participants must keep track of daily time spent walking, then submit this into the weekly log form sent via email on Mondays at 9am.
- Failure to fill out the weekly walking log by Wednesday at 9am will result in a forfeit from the challenge.
- Refer someone to participate and complete the challenge and receive an additional prize entry into the grand prize drawing.
- Encourage a campus colleague or co-worker to participate. Walking with a buddy increases accountability toward personal fitness goals. All participants referring someone to participate in/ complete the challenge will receive an additional entry into the grand prize drawings.
- Join the Facebook community group for daily encouragement and walking, wellness, and fitness tips.
- Consider tracking your walking through a mobile app like Map My Walk.
- Take advantage of convenient places to walk on campus, including the Reckord Armory (check hours by calling 301-226-4444), McKeldin Mall, and Arboretum and Botanical Garden sites.
- Participants must be currently employed University of Maryland faculty/staff or graduate students. Faculty and staff do not have to work on the College Park campus to participate.
- Participants must register for the program online.
- Participants must read, sign and submit the Winter Walking Challenge Informed Consent Statement to be fully registered. The Informed Consent can be downloaded here then sent via fax (301-226-4455), email (email@example.com), or campus mail (1115 Eppley Recreation Center) to the program administrator, Bre Rowh.
- Participants may walk anywhere, any day, anytime, and are encouraged to incorporate at least 30 minutes of activity into their daily work schedule.
- Participants do not have to walk 30 consecutive minutes and may accumulate 30 total minutes. Participants are encouraged to walk at least 10-minute intervals.
Participants must keep track of daily time spent walking and log this in the weekly log form sent via email on Mondays at 9am.
Participants must walk a minimum of 20-minutes/ day to have their time spent walking count toward the overall challenge.
Failure to fill out the weekly walking log by Wednesday at 9am will result in a forfeit from the challenge.
Questions and requests for rule exceptions must be presented to the program coordinator, Bre Rowh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participation in RecWell activities, including the use of facilities and equipment is completely voluntary. There are risks and hazards, minor and serious, associated with participation in fitness activities. Participants voluntarily assume all responsibility and risk of loss, damage, illness, and/or injury to person or property associated with the participation in the 30-day Winter Walking Challenge.
- Participants are advised to check with a medical professional before starting any exercise program.
- Participants are encouraged to dress appropriately and drink water before, during and after exercise.
Thank you to our sponsors